www.childers-shepherd.org, 2 Feb 2012
Wilfred F. Black: Biographical Note
by daughter Janice Black, January 2012
Wilfred went to Flat Creek School for all grades, graduating in 1944. When he graduated from high school, school only went
to the 11th grade. He immediately joined the Army for the rest of WWII. For most of his WWII service, he was stationed in
South Korea and had the chance to see the circumstances that would lead to the Korean War.

As for the Korean War, Daddy would always say that he could never understand how and why the Chinese would use a
human wave to overrun the Americans. The idea was completely foreign to him that a wave of people would willingly run
towards the Americans with little or no weapons knowing they would be killed. He said that invasion [by the Chinese during
the Korean War] was so chaotic and that he had to stay behind until the last minute to destroy papers, files, and anything
that could be destroyed so the Chinese could not get their hands on American resources. He also talked about working for
Col. Claire Ewing, who was a pilot. He had so much respect for him and they traded Christmas cards each year until late into
Daddy's life. Daddy was awarded the Bronze Star for Bravery and another Commendation Medal for his service in Korea.

After getting married in 1952, he went to Detroit, Michigan, for about 18 months to work for General Motors as a material
handler. He really disliked living in Detroit and about 1955 moved back to Weaverville NC. He used to say, “I‘ve been all
over this world and there is no better spot than Weaverville, nothing prettier.”

Once he returned to Asheville / Weaverville, he went to work as a car salesman for Bob Ledford’s Used Cars. Until he was
about 60, he worked selling cars; first for Bob Ledford’s, then Claude Taylor’s and then in business for himself at Superior
Auto Sales with his friends and long time work partners, Buck Dillingham and Earl Lytle. All these used car lots were within
100 yards of each other at the end of Cox Avenue in Asheville, NC. He generally worked from 9 am till 6 pm, six days a
week. When he came home at night, he farmed, raising cows, hay and tobacco.

When Wilfred retired from the used car business, he went to work part time for West Funeral Home in Weaverville. Because
his family had been in the area for many generations and because of his good “public people skills,” he was a tremendous
asset to the funeral home. He seemed to know everybody and was related in some way or another to many families in the
area. This was also a logical progression because his Dad, William "Will" Montreville Black - the carpenter - had made
caskets at one point. (Will Black used to tell the story of a man who died and was “all drawed up” meaning he had died in
the fetal position and “we couldn’t straighten him out [lay him flat] so I had to make a square box for a casket and we sat him
down in it.” )

                                                                                                              -- Janice Black, 2012