"Mitchell Wilson Shepherd was born in the 1850's, the son of Granison and Serena (Wilson) Shepherd of Yancey County, NC. On 26 February 1873 in that county he married Clerissa Arrowood, the ceremony being performed by Joshua Horton, witnessed by C. Towe, J. W. Horton, and Jessie Horton.
"Clerissa was the daughter of Clem and Polly (Allen) Arrowood. . . .
"Mitchell and Clerissa lived on Price's Creek in Yancey County before moving to Buncombe County on Atkins Branch, now known as Stockton Branch. They lived in a log cabin with the kitchen being a separate building from the house, up in the hollow above the Elbert Chambers place, (now the Hoyt Chambers land). They owned the land from the Bob Hollow below the Buckner Cemetery line to the Wesley Shepherd line. They swapped land on Price's Creek with Jules Robinson for this property. They later bought land from Will Beachboard on Bear Branch, now called Hobson Branch. Their house stood in the bottom below where H. R. Deaver now lives."
--Faye Shepherd McFarland, "Mitchell Wilson and Clerissa (Arrowood) Shepherd", HOBC, Vol II, p. 336.