"They both came to Atkins Branch in the northern part of Buncombe County when their parents moved there from Yancey County. Taylor bought land across the mountain from Atkins Branch from the Ridge Road to what is now called Hobson Branch but [was] then called Bear Branch because the woods extended all the way to the branch and bears roamed at will. The land he bought was a part of the Jesse and Nimrod Buckner plantation and was owned by their heir Adinah Freeman. She was a daughter of Robinson Gaston and Sarah (Buckner) Freeman who married Nelson Bradley. Bradley had built a one-story house on this property which was whitewashed, trimmed with blue with the gables painted yellow. The Henry Taylor Shepherd family lived in this house until 1920 when they tore it down and built a new house. Part of its lumber was used for building the Troy Deaver house which still stands on Hobson Branch. The new house burned down about 1931 and another house was built . . . ."
- Selected from Zelma Shepherd Rector, "Henry Taylor and Margeret J. (Shepherd) Shepherd" (citing "Family Bibles; family information; federal census and cemetery markers"), HOBC, Vol II, p.334.